Architectonic Landmarks and Touristic Interests
In Luze are notable architectonic and cultural landmarks. The oldest of them is a ruin of the gothic castle Kosumberk with a renaissance outbuilding, which was firstly recorded in 1318. The domain with the same name was taken over by the aristocratic family of Lords of Chlum in 1372 and during the years 1372-1564 the Kosumberk was become the residence of Lords of Chlum and Kosumberk. After fire in 1573 the castle was rebuilt in a renaissance style. In the second half of the 16th century was established the Bohemian Brethren School, where were learned Protestant aristocrats (among others later the famous warrior Albrecht of Valdstejn, but also Vilem Slavata, who converted to the Catholic Church later). In 1684 the Kosumberk became in the property of the Jesuitic College in compliance with the testament of the last woman of the Slavata family. The Jesuitic order established its residence next to the pilgrimage Church. After cancelling of the Jesuitic order the domain was administered by the Church Foundation and in 1826 it was become in the property of Thurn-Taxis family. In 1922 the romantic remains got the Society for Kosumberk Renewal and supported them structurally. Nowadays, the remains of the castle are the property of the municipality of Luze. An exposition of the castle history in taking account of the Luze history is installed here (the new exposition has been opened since June 14th, 2001, phone: +42 469 672 191).
Two-tower's pilgrimage Church sacred to Our Lady dominates in wide Luze's basin. It was built up on the basalt rise of Chlumek by Italian architect G. B. Alliprandi according to the project of P. I. Bayer during the years 1690-1695. On the interior embellishment there participated masters, e.g. woodcarver J. F. Pacak and artist J. J. Heintsche. There is the unique building, absolute by the style, made in the early baroque style. Behind the church there was built up the Jesuitical residence by late of the 17th century, originally with two floors, by late of the 19th century rebuilt with a one floor, with whole refectory.
The downtown of Luze has been nominated as the protected urban landmark zone. Luze was established according to the regular scheme with a large mart and main streets leaded into the place about year 1300. The square bent toward north side is surrounded with continuously built up citizen's houses, always by six ones on each side. In the middle of the square is located the historical Town Hall (from year 1542), which was given as a present by the Slavata family to the townlet of Luze in 1572 as the seat of the locality administration.
Originally the Gothic Church of St. Bartholomew, which has been already recorded in 1381, was some times rebuilt. Part of the nave kept a Gothic nature. In the temple has been maintained several gravestones, e.g. the gravestone of Divis Slavata of Chlum and Kosumberk (†1575). Behind the Church of St. Bartholomew has been developed the suburb - Zakosteli; towards the pilgrimage Church on the Chlumek hill then Chlumek's suburb. On the south-east side of the village is the suburb, which was occupied by a big Jewish community. Its inhabitants (309 persons in 1920) were practically exterminated during the Second World War. Newly renovated synagogue from the 18th century and the big Jewish cemetery about 1 km north from Luze with the oldest tombs from the 17th century have been memorialized their destinies. Since the 18th century the village has had own rabbinate.
Another remarkable landmarks and interests:
- Baroque house No 87,
- Pestilential column on the Col. Koukal's square,
- Sculpture of St. Florian from 1777 in Zakosteli,
- Chapel of St. Jan Nepomucky (1726) on the road from Luze to Kosumberk,
- Tree "Linduse" (plane tree) under the castle Kosumberk (the protected natural landmark),
- Paletin's chapel of the 14th helpers (in the direction of the village Bily Kun),
- Massive bulwarks of the unfinished Celtic oppidium (c. 4 km in the direction of the town Prosec on the hill at the settlement Raboun),
- Protected park reservation Poklona with a rare flora (at the top of the geological fault in the direction of the town Vysoke Myto),
- Rococo castle Nove Hrady (10 km eastward in the direction of the town Litomysl),
- Castle Rychmburk, nowadays the Pensioner House, there is a possibility of the tour and climb on the tower (c. 8 km in the village Predhradi),
- Natural sandstone formations "Toulovcovy mastale" ("Toulovec's stables") (at the town Prosec),
- Hippological museum in the town Slatinany,
- Museum of Vesely kopec at the town Hlinsko.
©2001-2003, Local council of Luze